Instructions for Authors
Belgian Surgical Week 2023
Ostend, April 27-29 2023
Monday 12.12.2022 opening abstract submission
21.03.2023 abstract acceptance decision communicated to authors
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION OPENS Monday December 12th 2022
Please submit your abstract via: http://www.belgiansurgicalweek.be > abstracts > instructions for authors.
Kindly follow the instructions given online, else your abstract cannot be selected for review.
4 types of abstracts will be considered, so-called ‘tracks’:
- Free papers (oral/poster)
- Case reports (poster)
- Video reports
- BAST-Trainee-Trainer session (BAST session on April 27th or 28th 2023: both residents and teachers should be present)
A summary of the abstract guidelines is as follows:
- English language
- Maximum 300 words (304 including the paragraph labels, see infra)
- The use of 1 table or 1 graph is allowed
- The abstract must consist of four paragraphs labelled: OBJECTIVE, METHODS, RESULTS, CONCLUSIONS
- The text and the title should be free from abbreviations, except those commonly used. It should concisely address the problem and the purpose of the study (OBJECTIVE); how the study was performed (METHODS); the main findings with numerical data and statistical significance (RESULTS); and the principal conclusions drawn from the study (CONCLUSIONS). In case of innovative study protocol or project, abstracts can be sent reporting the Background, Objective and Methods of the study.
- The title of the abstract should be printed in CAPITAL LETTERS; the name(s) of the author(s) should be preceded by the full first name (middle name initial optional) - omit titles.
- All authors need to be submitted through the author form
- Only co-authors are allowed to present the paper
- Since the abstracts will be judged anonymously, the text should not reveal the institutional affiliation (videos and/or abstracts with affiliation will be rejected).
- Within each track, mark the category which best describes the subject of the abstract
- General surgery
- Upper GI
Abstracts will not be accepted by e-mail or fax. All abstracts should be submitted and posted according to the format and instructions described above no later than the deadline Tuesday 31st January 2023 at midnight (23:59:59 CET).
FREE PAPER - ORAL Presentation SESSIONS
Free papers are allocated 8 minutes presentation time followed by a discussion period of 2 minutes. Please note that only data projection will be available; videos need to be submitted through a separate track.
FREE PAPER AND CASE REPORT - POSTER SESSIONS
After review by the scientific committee, some free papers might be withheld for the poster sessions. Case report submissions will be considered for poster presentation only.
During the conference, an ‘oral poster session’ will be held where the best 15 posters are given the opportunity for a short oral defense presentation with a 3-slide-powerpoint (excluding the poster itself) during a 3 minute presentation
FREE VIDEO SESSIONS
Free videos are allocated a maximum of 6 minutes with 2 minutes discussion. Video content should be made in the perspective of educating surgeons and members of surgical teams to improve the care of the surgical patient as well as safeguard the standards of care in an optimal practice environment. Live narration in English illustrating the video is required.
Review will be based on a classical written abstract scheme as mentioned above. Together with the written submission, you are required to upload a low quality video (max. 50MB) during the abstract submission process. You can lower the size of the rough file by compressing to eg. compression H.264, lower the resolution to 640x360px and/or lower the frame rate to 15fps (adds a slight stutter, but axes the size to 75%). Also changing bitrate can make your rough file smaller. During the conference, obviously the full quality video needs to be shown.
Accepted video presentations should be uploaded through the EasyChair platform according to instructions that will follow after acceptance of the video.
Video requirement summary:
- running time of maximum 6 minutes
- Live English narration
- Video formats: MPEG2, AVI, QuickTime
- Upload in Easychair after acceptance
BAST-TRAINER-TRAINEE SESSION - ORAL SESSION
These abstracts will be scored by the BAST Board. The abstract should describe an interesting case, to be presented by the residents. The trainer should also attend the session and can also present. This is an interactive session with multiple choice questions provided by the presenting resident and with the availability of an electronic voting system. The use of images and videos is encouraged, high quality images are required and a maximum of 60 seconds per video is allowed. Further instructions on presentation will follow once your abstract is accepted. After review some papers might be withheld for poster/oral poster sessions.
All abstracts will be reviewed and scored. The best abstracts are selected based on the average scores and allocated for presentations to the free paper sessions, best poster session, video session, poster session or trainer-trainee session. Selected abstracts are grouped into dedicated sessions, if possible, and moderated by the responsible scientific society or section. Abstract acceptance and program scheduling will be communicated to the corresponding author’s e-mail address latest by 21st MARCH 2023.
For the abstract to be included in the final scientific program, it is mandatory to register for the congress and to settle payment as soon as the notification of abstract acceptance is received, but the latest before Friday 31st MARCH. Registration after this date does not guarantee the possibility to present your work.
Please tick the boxes if eligible for awards during the abstract submission process.
BEST ABSTRACT COMPETITION
The Board of the Royal Belgian Society of Surgery (RBSS) has decided to hold this year again a best abstract competition for the two best clinical and the two best basic research papers selected by the Scientific Committee.
The criteria for application for the prizes are as follows:
- Applicants are not to be older than 35 years at the time of the Belgian Surgical Week.
- Applicants are to be member of the Royal Belgian Society of Surgery, latest by 31st JANUARY 2023, the date of closure for abstract submissions.
- The finalists will be chosen among the four best scored abstracts and will be notified latest by 15th MARCH 2023.
- The first author of the paper has to submit a full manuscript by 20th APRIL 2023 which can be used by the jury to analyze the research more in depth before the actual Award session. Failure to submit the manuscript on time will automatically disqualify the applicant for the prize, but not for the presentation.
- The four selected papers are to be presented as oral communications in the ‘RBSS Young Investigator Award’ session scheduled (Thursday May 27th, 09.30-10.30) during the Belgian Surgical Week.
- The papers will be scored by a jury composed of RBSS Board members and will be based on the scientific quality of both the presentation and of the submitted manuscript.
- The dedicated presentation time is foreseen for 10 minutes with 5 minutes discussion by a discussant invited by the Board.
- Publications in the Acta Chirurgica Belgica is strongly encouraged (cfr Prize) but publications in another journal is also supported by the RBSS.
The winners of the prize will be announced at the Surgical Night.
PRIZE = 1.000 euro if published in the Acta Chirurgica Belgica
500 euro if published in another journal.
If you wish to participate in the contest, don’t forget to tick the appropriate box when submitting your abstract via the conference website of the BSW: www.belgiansurgicalweek.be
BEST ORAL POSTER AWARD
The Board of the Royal Belgian Society of Surgery (RBSS) has decided to hold this year again a best oral poster competition. To be taken into account, the abstract needs to be selected for the oral poster session. The winner will be selected based upon the project and the presentation.
PRIZE = 250 euro
The best presentation during the BAST session will be chosen by the audience. Trainee and trainer must be present at the time of presentation in order to be eligible to compete.
PRIZE = 250 euro
If you wish to participate in the competitions, don’t forget to tick the appropriate box when submitting the abstract via the abstract submission platform Easychair!
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION WILL OPEN DECEMBER 12th 2022 00.00 CET AND
CLOSE FEBRAURY 12th 23.59.59 CET Brussels Time!
<<ABSTRACT SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED !>>
>>> Submit your abstract here. <<<
You will be redirected to Easychair, the abstract management system for BSW 2023.